Saturday, December 25, 2010

Looking for a realistic New Year's Resolution?

At this time of year so many people vow to join a gym, go on a diet and lose all their excess weight after January 1st, but how many keep it up beyond the first two weeks?  How many actually succeed in losing a single pound?  Tara's story over on Mark's Daily Apple with some unbelievable before & after photos is truly inspirational, and epitomizes what we're talking about on the Grain Ride:
I was miserable. I tried everything to lose weight, but I was just so tired all of the time. I diagnosed myself with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), Metabolic Syndrome, endometriosis and depression, which the doctors then confirmed. They put me on Prozac, which made me gain more weight. At my heaviest, I was around 235 lbs. I am a 5′9″ female. 235 lbs is not a healthy weight. When I asked the doctors HOW to lose weight, I was told, “We don’t know. Just lose it. Then symptoms will go away.” So, Google it was.
 And about exercise:
...nutrition is 80% of the battle... you don’t actually have to do as much as the industry would have you believe. ... Hours of “chronic cardio” on the treadmill is actually having the opposite of the desired effect – people are overtraining, injuring themselves and making themselves hungry as hell. (It’s a lot easier to justify a donut when you’ve worked out hard, right?!) I didn’t have to work out hard to see results. 

Before you sign up at the gym or the weight loss program you've been eyeing, you need to convince yourself that you will have a greater chance of success doing it alone.  Sounds unlikely, but it's true.

Don't buy into the conventional hype!

Instead, figure out how much money you would be spending on those New Year's resolutions, and use it to stock up on the right grain-free foods instead (actually, chances are you'll have quite a bit of change left over even after stocking up).  Challenge yourself to 2 weeks without grains, and then decide.

And, at the end of those two weeks, please remember to leave a comment below to tell us how you did.

Read Tara's story...

No comments:

Post a Comment